Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Keeping My Head In The Game

I made the wrong chocolate milk for Sean this morning.  Oops.  Put in Quik instead of Ovalitine.  The kid was a champ and gulped it down and then asked for the real thing.

Good job, Sean.  Bad job, Mom.

I wonder if this will be how my day will go....

Oh no, I'm now arguing with a 5 year old over my giving her three pieces of paper to draw on instead of  just the single one that she requested.... 

I really should call it quits and go back to bed.

Anyway... It's orthodontist and cooking club day for Sean.  A day far away from our normal routine.  A day that will have to be meticulously gone over with Sean so he knows what to expect and when.  It also means for me running around, watching the clock and trying to remember all the details that will ensure the day will go as smoothly as possible.

Emails to both schools informing them of the appointment and the early dismissal/late arrival that will result...check.  Phone call to the bus company to cancel transportation between the two schools...check.

Now as long as I don't forget to bring his toothbrush and toothpaste so he can brush before the appointment...  Oh, and don't forget the Advil for after it....  And his lunchbox .... And the book that he left in his loft bed that he wants for his free time later in the day....And his soap so he can wash his hands for cooking club after school....

And...

Details, details, details....

My life centers around details.  But no more or no less than the life of a mom who's child is not autistic. 

I often drive by my town's community athletic fields and I remember what life was like before "typical" and "atypical" became part of my vocabulary.

Soccer practice for Sean.  Cheer leading and dance for Carissa.  A new baby....

Each activity (and yes, having a new baby is definitely an activity!)... each had their own bag or backpack.  There were days when I would leave the house wondering if I was going on vacation because I had so many bags in tow.  I often worried if I had the right kid at the right field on the right day at the right time in the right uniform.  It was always a huge sigh of relief that would escape from me when I would see others from their groups.  Whew!  I did it!

Now that my kids are older, my schedule could surely be more hell-ish.  Cheer leading and soccer are more than two nights a week.  One dance class would certainly not be enough.  And Ashley would have her own activities.  I could be living out of my mini-minivan, ordering dinner through a speaker.

Fortunately, my kids have decided to fore go their old lives.  They like scouting and to read.  They like to go to the pool and play in the backyard or ride bikes.

Our lives are simple.  Quiet. 

It's still busy with therapy and all the other things and events that happen - camping, community service, field trips, honor roll activities, homework.

My life is still ruled by the clock and the calendar.  I still have details.  While they may be small to others, only we can know how important they truly are and what missing one could do to an entire day....

Like switching Quik and Ovaltine....

Oh, the horrors!

No comments:

Post a Comment