Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Picture Leads To A Thousand Words

Today is Sunday, February 27th.  I only begin that way in the hopes that something will come to this mind of mine to write. 

Sunday is typically my day to fold laundry.  I wash throughout the week, folding when I can.  But Sunday is akin to my day at the spa.  I put a movie in on my laptop and dump load after load onto my king-sized bed.

Jane Austen's Persuasion will keep me company today.  It's about 4 hours in length.  Thankfully, I don't have that much folding to do!

You might wonder what persuaded me to start this blog.  Sometimes I wonder myself. 

It all started with pictures.....

I've taken thousands of photographs of the kids over time and have only in the past year begun taking photos strictly for my own enjoyment.  Icicles, snow on an overturned leaf, flowers, the sun filtering through the leaves....  I use a website to download my pictures and turn them into photo books to mark special events - the first Cubs game, a special camping trip. 

Maybe it was my father's death in November that prompted me to finally do something completely and utterly for myself.  I took my favourite photographs and had them made into a black, leather-bound book with an inspirational story woven throughout.  I called the book "Just One Moment" and it talked about life, enduring love, friendship....  It asked readers to take a walk with me through the wanderings of my soul. 

It was the first time I had ever done something like that.  It was exciting and yet so scary to bare yourself  for the world to see - or, at the very least, the guy at the photo store.

I showed the book to a friend and from there the idea of a feel-good fuzzy blog of my pictures sprang forth.  Another friend suggested that I write a blog on autism instead.  Really?  Me?  I was reluctant at first...and second... and third.  But the idea stuck with me.  I started to write little tidbits about Sean and over the course of a month I began to think, "Yea, maybe I could do this."

My friends said I could make a difference.

Unbeknownst to you, my reader,  I just stepped away for a few moments to schedule an appointment for donating blood next week with Lifesource.

Donating blood is something tangible.  You know you're making a difference.

But writing a blog about autism - hoping to connect on some level and make a difference in the cyber world???

Well, that certainly took an epic act - Austen-ian in proportion, perhaps? - of persuasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment