Thursday, March 17, 2011

From My Heart....

Happy Anniversary! 

It's been one month since I posted my first story about tying shoes.  Twenty-nine posts, 1109 page views and 135 cities later, here we are.

Thank you to everyone who has read, commented, shared, emailed....

I had no idea what would happen after I hit enter that first day.  I am, after all, just a mom. 

It all started with an idea to make a photo book.  Then one comment by a friend.  Then another.  And finally, a belief - not by me - that my voice could make a difference.

Thus, here we are.

Wow....

I reference the word "alone" throughout the headers and sometimes in the posts.  Believe me, there are times when the word "alone" is really, truly, all about one person feeling utterly by themselves.  I've been there.  I've felt that.  I have sat at the kitchen table unable to move because of the hopelessness, the helplessness.  Paralyzed by the sheer volume of crap that gets heaped upon you by professionals.

Yep, I've been there.

But this blog isn't about that type of alone although I want everyone out there to know that when you're at your kitchen table crying or lying in bed in the middle of the night being crushed by your fears or standing on a playground filled with parents and thinking that they have no idea what you're going through... Hey!  I'm here.  We are here.  135 cities from Washington to Florida, New York to California (and Alaska and Hawaii you're coming next...).... We are all here for you... for each other...so that we are not alone.

We will stand together and give our children the best possible futures that we can give....


The alone I talk about, the alone I refer to, is the sheer fact that we are alone in our own heads.  Yes, I have an autistic child and so do you.  We may share some experiences.  We may not.  What worries you may have, may not worry me.  No one shares our thoughts, our feelings, our fears, our triumphs and dreams exactly like we do.  Nobody.  Therefore, we are alone.

And I'm just one mom.  One under-educated, slightly overweight mom in a world filled with amazing, incredible people.  But we all have voices.....

One person said that I had a unique perspective and had a belief that putting my thoughts and feelings down in a blog could make a difference.

I don't know if I have.  It's quite bold of me to even think I could.  But you have written wonderful emails to me.  You have reached out me.  You have welcomed me.  You have shared slivers of your world with me.

For all of that... for all of you.... I am grateful and quite humbled.

Thank you. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment