Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Let's Do Lunch

I did something today that I haven't done in a very, very long time..... I left my kids with my adult niece and went out to lunch.  My best friend moved away a long time ago and we only see each a few times a year.  Today was going to be our day.

I remember when my husband and I first had kids.  People would always tell us to get a sitter and make sure we go out on "dates."  Carissa came right after Sean so for the first few years we were too tired and too broke to do much of anything.

By the time Sean was three and a half we were already on that long-winding path to diagnosis.

A babysitter... for a disabled child... yea... right.  That was so not happening.  "Date" nights would have to wait.

The grandparents helped out as much as they could through the years.  My sister or nieces as well.  But we called on them due to need more than want.

The last time my husband and I went out was sometime in October of last year.  Before that it was almost a year... and before that it was about 15 or 16 months.

When you have a disabled child you can't simply pick up the phone and call the high school kid down the block.  If only it were so easy....

Impossible is more like it.

I really, really wanted today to happen.  My niece was the fourth person I asked and only available because she's a teacher on spring break as well.  She's been around Sean before and it was on his own turf with his sisters close at hand.  I wasn't going to be far away.  I didn't worry all that much about how it was going to go.

In the end, I didn't need to worry at all.  Things went smoothly.  I didn't even get a single phone call - oh how unloved I must be!

No, today went well.  I needed the break.  I needed the opportunity to fix my hair, put on that nice shirt and those killer heels, get the make-up out of the packaging.  I needed the one-on-one time with my best friend. 

It felt good to take the break.  I missed my kids.  But it still felt good.....

No comments:

Post a Comment